Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Indian Camp" by Ernest Hemingway Response



    This short story was very descriptive, and even disturbing/gruesome at times. The C-section was disturbing, especially how it was described. I could relate to how Nick was feeling because of how well the birth and Nick's reactions were described. I liked how this story had more to it than just a baby being born too.It seems the only plot line and/or conflict in this was the birth of the baby. However, this small event highlighted many themes in the story. It highlighted bravery and innocence.
    I believe one of the themes is bravery...with men in this case. Nick's father is the main example of bravery in this. He seems like a very brave man, seeing as he is the only one who can deal with the C-section and the suicide of the husband (Uncle George left, and so did Nick) Also when Nick asks his father why the man killed himself, Nick's father responds "I don't know, Nick. He couldn't stand things, I guess," this sort of highlights Nick's father's bravery compared to other men.
    Another theme I caught on to was child innocence. The reader must remember that Nick is still a child. It's easy to forget when most of the story is centered around the operation and Nick's Father. During the story sometimes I forgot that this was told in, somewhat, a child's point of view, especially during the operation which is centered around Nick's Father. It wasn't until Nick's father explains the concept of birth to Nick and Nick's hesitance to look at what his father is doing. Also, this event probably had an impact on Nick's innocence. At the end when Nick is wondering about death the reader remembers that he, in fact, is still a child.
    Overall, I actually found this short story very interesting. I liked how it was super long with endless paragraphs of descriptions about what something looks like. I liked how the themes weren't that hard to find, but they were woven into the story neatly and didn't seem like the author decided to put them in there at the last minute. I also like how the story never seemed to get dull, from the first couple of paragraphs I felt like I needed to continue to read (not just because I had to) but because it was gripping and kept the reader involved.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie-

    I was immediately struck by your identification of Nick's father as "brave." I think it should be noted that bravery is only bravery when the person overcomes a personal fear in order to do what is right. What if Nick's father is not afraid? What if he likes gore, blood, and/or death? It'd be great if you could revisit the text and see if you can find any signs of Nick's father's discomfort with the subject(s).

    Innocence IS a big issue- Nick is just a child, after all, right? Nick's ability to absorb the issues involved is directly linked to the reader's abilities and that should be closely examined.

    Careful about over simplifying the text and themes. Sometimes stories are deceptively simple and that is an intentional choice by the author in order to use ambiguity as a literary tool.

    Overall, a very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete